Saturday, May 6, 2017

Review: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)


Author: J.K. Rowling
Started reading: April 28th 2017
Finished the book: April 30th 2017
Pages: 341
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Adventure
Published: June 2nd 1998
Source: Bought the book
Goodreads score: 4.37
My score:

Synopsis
The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.
And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockhart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny. But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone, or something, starts turning Hogwarts students to stone.

My thoughts
It's great to be back in the Harry Potter world! This book is exactly what you want after reading the first book. More mystery, more danger, more friendship and more Hogwarts!

Pros
  • Normal day life: What's strong about the Harry Potter books if the fact that J.K. Rowling doesn't skip the "normal day life". It would be so easy for her to just skip those things and move on to all the mystery and plot twists. But she doesn't, and that's what makes the Harry Potter world so amazing! You go to classes with Harry and learn more about the lessons at Hogwarts, as well as the students.
  • More mystery and action: A new year, new mysteries and more action! A lot of strange and awful things are happening at Hogwarts and together with Harry, Ron and Hermione you try to figure out what is going on.
  • Great new characters: Another great aspect in the Harry Potter series is the fact that you don't stick to the same characters the whole series long. Of course are there characters that are in all the books. But the great thing is that you get to know new characters each book as well. For me it was great to learn more about Lucius Malfoy but I also found Gilderoy Lockhart so entertaining!
Cons
You kiddin' right?

Overall
Once you've been sucked into the Harry Potter world, it's always great to return! I'm having so much fun reading the books again. I've read the whole series a LONG LONG time ago and I love to be back!

Memorable quotes from this book
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Honestly, if you were any slower, you'd be going backward."

"Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world."

What's your favorite Harry Potter character so far?
Mine is by far Hermione!

  


10 comments:

  1. I'm happy you're enjoying this series! This book was one of my favourites and after the third, things really start to get out of hand. But in a good way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read the books. I'm trying to take it a bit slow, since I don't want the series to end.. But it's hard!!

      Delete
  2. I really need to reread HP, I loved all the book when I was a kid. I guess I've never though about it until you mentioned it, about how much JK Rowling goes into the everyday life at Hogwarts, she really did an amazing job.
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love the little details that Rowling throws in, like the homework assignments the kids have to do. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about a lot of YA books, that the regular lives of teenagers aren't well-represented, so I really appreciate that she includes little things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love harry potter so much, I'm actually thinking about getting a harry potter tattoo 🙈 ! Hermione is my favourite as well, Ron and Harry would be completely lost without her! Great review 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about the tattoo but that would be so awesome!! You put a great idea in my head....

      Delete
  5. I am glad that you are enjoying your re-read! I still need to read this series. Everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I love to discuss books and anything else!

~ Esther