Thursday, August 24, 2017

Review: Triptych (Will Trent #1)

Author: Karin Slaughter
Started reading: August 7th 2017
Finished the book: August 11th 2017
Pages: 514
Genres: Mystery, Thriller, Crime
Published: August 15th 2006
Source: Bought the book
Goodreads score: 4.14
My score:
Synopsis
When Atlanta police detective Michael Ormewood is called out to a murder scene at the notorious Grady Homes, he finds himself faced with one of the most brutal killings of his career: Aleesha Monroe is found in the stairwell in a pool of her own blood, her body horribly mutilated.

As a one-off killing it's shocking, but when it becomes clear that it's just the latest in a series of similar attacks, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is called in, and Michael is forced into working with Special Agent Will Trent of the Criminal Apprehension Team - a man he instinctively dislikes.

Twenty-four hours later, the violence Michael sees around him every day explodes in his own back yard. And it seems the mystery behind Monroe's death is inextricably entangled with a past that refuses to stay buried...






My thoughts
Such a big Karin Slaughter fangirl over here. I'm stoked when I start reading her book, because I know I'll be hooked by the plot and the astonishing characters. I don't think I've ever given a book by Karin Slaughter less than a 3-rating. I've finished the Sara Linton series a while a go, and since I was way too shocked by it's ending, I needed time to recover...
But I'm starting this new series, and I'm very excited!

Pros
  • Clever plot: When you start a Karin Slaughter book you just know you are in for a book with a great plot. I love how the story builds with all the twists and turns. Karin Slaughter is definitely the plot-building QUEEN in this genre. I just know what I can expect when I pick up a book that's written by her. I have these high expectations and every time she fulfills those, it's even better. This book had a great plot.
  • Will Trent: Sara Linton, Jeffrey Tolliver, Lena Adams, I was hooked by the characters in the previous series that I've read. I was hoping I would like the new main character and I totally did. Will Trent is a believable main character with his flaws, quirks and good sides. I was a little bit scared that maybe he would remind me of Jeffrey Tolliver from the previous books, but he's so different and I can't wait to read more about Will Trent!
  • Hating or Loving: The best part about this  book is that you go from loving/liking some characters, to hating them. At some point I was doubting a lot of characters and I was trying to see if they were who they said they were.. Because of the twists and turns and different feelings towards the characters I didn't trust anyone anymore.
Cons
  • Seriously disturbing: Some parts of this book were so disturbing. They were so far from my reality and the situation I live in, that it was almost hard to believe things like this happen. I know Karin Slaughter does her research, so I know things can get crappy and disturbing, just like the story in this book. I know it can add to a story and it probably does for some people, but it was a bit too much at some points for me.
Overall
I expect Karin Slaughter to deliver me a book with a great plot and amazing characters. It's a great feeling to know you'll pick up a great book when Karin Slaughter's name is on the cover.
I know, I'm being such a fangirl! I'm so excited to share my reviews to come since I'm planning to read the Will Trent series and a review for The Good Daughter is definitely gonna come by as well.

Other opinions about this book
"Slaughter's gift for building multi-layered tension while deconstructing damaged personalities gives this thriller a nerve-wracking finish."
- USA Today

"Excellent... Karin Slaughter is not afraid to show the absolute worst in people, as well as the best."
- Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

"Volcanic heroes and villains, who act both surprisingly and logically... Slaughter has the courage to detonate her biggest bombshells early on, keeping even the wariest readers off-balance."
- Kirkus Reviews

Let me know what you think of Karin Slaughter's books!