Monday, September 18, 2017

Review: Letters to Eloise


Author: Emily Williams
Started reading: September 10th 2017
Finished the book: September 17th 2017
Pages: 293
Genres: Contemporary, Fiction
Published: February 17th 2017
Source: Got a digital copy from the author
Goodreads score: 4.55
My score:
Synopsis
When post-graduate student Flora falls unexpectedly pregnant during her final year studies she hits a huge predicament; continue a recent affair with her handsome but mysterious lecturer who dazzles her with love letters taken from the ancient tale of ‘Abelard and Heloise’, or chase after the past with her estranged first love?
But will either man be there to support her during the turmoil ahead?

Letters to Eloise is the heart wrenching debut epistolary novel by Emily Williams; a love story of misunderstandings, loss, and betrayal but ultimately the incredible bond between mother and child.


My thoughts
My god... I did not see this coming. For 80% of this book I thought I was going to give this book 3 apples. Maybe 4 if the ending would be nice. But... This escalated quickly!! So many things are happening in the end and this book left me SOBBING, UGLY, FACE FULL OF TEARS. I was hoping no one would hear me crying in bed, because this book left me broken.

Pros
  • The feelz: It's all in this book, the feels. This book is about love, life, losing each other, love for your family, love for a child, love for a person that doesn't love you back. It's all there! In the ending the feelings are portrayed beautifully and I especially loved the last 20% of this book.
  • Characters: I like Flora! She is so open, sweet, spontaneous, loving, caring. She is a great main character in this book. I also like the other characters, their personalities are very strong.
  • Ending: I have shed tears because of books. I could hide behind my long curly hair or behind some sunglasses and I would be over it at the end of the page. This book left me SOBBING, no way I could hide. I have been crying all the final chapters. My god, this is too much. I did see a lot of things coming, I had prepared for a lot of different endings, but not this one...
  • Unique concept: I like the concept. Flora is writing letters to her unborn child, to tell her about the pregnancy. I love the little facts at the beginning of the chapters as well. It's a very unique way of telling a story.
Cons
  • Now and then: The fact that I liked the book from 80% till the end the most, is that it all plays in the present time. In this book it was very unclear for me what was "now" as in; 1995 and what was "then" as in; 1993/1994 and then there is also a small part that plays in 2013. Also; I read the dates at the beginning of the chapters, but I would forget at the end what the date was, so when there was a big time gap between the diary-entries, I wouldn't notice. It was hard for me to get into the book because of this.
Overall
A book about love, life, losing and rekindling love. I loved the ending so much. It's sometimes astonishing to me, how much an ending can influence your opinion on a book. I loved this all the way through and would LOVE to have this book on my shelves.
If you like fiction/contemporary with a bit of romance and all the feelz you should put this on your TBR. I swear; It's worth it!!
Totally left me like;

Other opinions about this book
"I thoroughly recommend that you buy this  book because it left me in pieces."
- Goodreads Review

"Letters to Eloise is a book that sucks you in, it's a small, almost personal story, but it's a touching one."
- Amazon Review

"This book is one of the most beautiful books I've read. A story about a mother who is dedicated to her child, and a heartbreaking and emotional read. I absolutely love this book."
- Goodreads Review

Memorable quotes from this book
"Life is too short to dwell on things that have gone wrong, so I intend to spend my time trying to make things better."

"Life always needs to be interesting,' he said seriously. 'It needs to stimulate the mind, fill the senses and take hold of your heart. Life should stir at your very core. Otherwise, what's the point?"

"There's nothing like new life to make you believe in the world again, my dear, don't you forget that."

What book made you cry?!